Greater than 50% of owners permit their Bohemian Shepherds to live indoors and sleep on the sofa or in the owner’s bed. For those of you guys who are interested in how to build a dog house for your Bohemian Shepherd, following are our simple rules to follow when deciding the type of house you want to build for your Bohemian Shepherd.
Building Your Bohemian Shepherd a Dog House: Size
1. You should start your house building process by making sure the house is big enough to fit your Bohemian Shepherd’s potential mature size. As humans, we enjoy having approximately 2 feet of air above us in a room in order to live without feeling claustrophobic. Your Bohemian Shepherd will probably also enjoy having that much room. The target zone for both people and Bohemian Shepherds is about 33% of their standing height. To figure out how much space the Bohemian Shepherd will need get out a tape measure and measure your Bohemian Shepherd. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Bohemian Shepherd when he is in the most stretched out, comfortable, and relaxed position he can get into. Your Bohemian Shepherd should be able to peer out the front door when both sitting and standing. So the Bohemian Shepherd will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his tummy, make sure that door is high enough. Stand over the Bohemian Shepherd and measure the width of the widest point of the animal’s shoulders.
How to Build a House for Your Bohemian Shepherd: Elevation
2. Remember to elevate the house several inches from the ground to permit air and water to flow underneath. To discourage pests from invading the house, and taking your Bohemian Shepherd’s health into consideration, remember how vital fresh air is. Install a few nickel-sized openings in the walls under the eaves. Put a wind block inside the house so the Bohemian Shepherd can use the heat of its body to warm the space if it is really cold or windy outside. Consider adding a partial panel which will help your Bohemian Shepherd to escape the unpleasant weather. Your animal can decide to just snooze in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved Bohemian Shepherd would probably appreciate having a pillow or some sort of bedding to snooze on.
Building a Dog House for Your Bohemian Shepherd: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain entering the house make the floor just a little bit angled toward the entryway and construct the roof a little bit tilted, as well. Ensure the house is well insulated but you should not paint the inside.
4. In the United States most storms come from the west and south so make sure the dog house faces a different direction. Most dog house blueprints suggest that the house entryway faces east. The cold air will not be able to rush through the entrance then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Bohemian Shepherd’s Dog House
5. It’s recommended that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Bohemian Shepherd a dog house. This makes it easier for you to clean out your Bohemian Shepherd’s home. You should empty the Bohemian Shepherd’s house as often as you give your Bohemian Shepherd a bath.
Bohemian Shepherd Dog House: Conclusion
If your Bohemian Shepherd lives outside then he deserves to have a suitable place to sleep and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these simple tips on building a dog house for your Bohemian Shepherd will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Bohemian Shepherds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂