Over 50% of the population allows their Afghan Hounds to stay inside and sleep on the sofa or in the bed. For those of you guys who are interested in how to build a dog house for your Afghan Hound, below are our easy rules to follow when deciding what type of house you want to build for your Afghan Hound.
Building a Dog House for Your Afghan Hound: Size
1. You should begin your house building process by making sure the house is big enough to accommodate your Afghan Hound’s potential mature size. Humans enjoy having approximately two feet of air above us in a room in order to live without feeling claustrophobic. Your Afghan Hound will also appreciate having that much room. The comfort zone for both people and Afghan Hounds is approximately 33% of their standing height. To calculate how much space the Afghan Hound will need get out a tape measure and measure your Afghan Hound. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and most importantly measure the full dimension of the Afghan Hound when he is in the most stretched out, comfortable, and relaxed position he can get into. Your Afghan Hound should be able to see out the front door while both sitting and standing. So the Afghan Hound will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his tummy, make sure that entrance is high enough. Stand over the Afghan Hound and measure the width of the broadest point of the animal’s shoulders.
Building Your Afghan Hound a House: Elevation
2. Remember to raise the dog house several inches from the ground to allow water and air to flow underneath. To discourage bugs from entering the house, and taking your Afghan Hound’s health into consideration, remember how important fresh air is. Put in a few nickel-sized openings in the panels under the eaves. Install a wind block inside the dog house so the Afghan Hound can use the heat of its own body to warm up the area if it is really cold or windy outside. Think about adding a partial wall which will help your Afghan Hound to escape the nasty weather. Your Afghan Hound can choose to just sleep in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved Afghan Hound would probably love having a cushion or some sort of pallet to snooze on.
How to Build Your Afghan Hound a House: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain coming into the dog house make the floor just a bit slanted toward the opening and construct the roof a bit tilted, as well. Ensure the dog house is well insulated but you should not paint the interior.
4. In America most storms come from the west and south so ensure the dog house faces a different direction. Most house blueprints suggest that the dog house entryway faces east. The cold air won’t be able to rush through the entryway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Afghan Hound’s House
5. It’s suggested that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Afghan Hound a house. This makes it easier for you to clean your Afghan Hound’s house. You should clean your Afghan Hound’s house as often as you give your Afghan Hound a bath.
Afghan Hound Dog House: Conclusion
If your Afghan Hound stays outdoors then he deserves to have a pleasant place to sleep and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these easy tips on building a dog house for the Afghan Hound will help you get started.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Afghan Hounds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂