More than fifty percent of the population permit their Plott Hounds to stay indoors and sleep on their sofa or in the owner’s bed. For those of you who are interested in how to build a dog house for your Plott Hound, below are our simple rules to follow when deciding what type of house you want to build for your Plott Hound.
Building Your Plott Hound a House: Size
1. You should start your house building process by ensuring the house is big enough to accommodate your Plott Hound’s potential adult size. People enjoy having around 2 feet of air overhead in a room in order to live without feeling boxed in. Your Plott Hound will also appreciate having that much space. The target zone for both people and Plott Hounds is around thrity-three percent of their standing height. To figure out how much space the Plott Hound will need go get a tape measure and measure your Plott Hound. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Plott Hound when he is in the most comfortable, relaxed and stretched out position he can get into. Your Plott Hound should be able to see out the front door while both sitting and standing. So the Plott Hound will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his tummy, make sure that door is high enough. Stand above the Plott Hound and measure the width of the broadest point of the Plott Hound’s shoulders.
Building Your Plott Hound a Dog House: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to raise the house several inches from the ground to permit water and air to flow underneath. To dissuade pests from invading the dog house, and taking your Plott Hound’s health into consideration, remember how important air circulation is. Install a few nickel-sized openings in the walls under the eaves. Install a wind block inside the dog house so the Plott Hound can use the warmth of its own body to warm up the space if it is very cold or breezy outside. Consider adding a partial wall which will allow your Plott Hound to escape the bad weather. Your animal can decide to just snooze in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved pet would probably love having a cushion or some sort of pallet to sleep on.
How to Build Your Plott Hound a House: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain entering the dog house make the floor just a bit angled toward the entrance and build the roof a bit slanted, as well. Ensure the house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the inside.
4. In the US most storms come from the south and west so make sure the house is facing a different direction. Most house plans recommend that the house doorway faces east. The cold air will not be able to whip through the entrance then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Plott Hound’s House
5. It’s recommended that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Plott Hound a dog house. This makes it easier for you to clean your Plott Hound’s home. You should empty the Plott Hound’s house as often as you give your Plott Hound a bath.
Plott Hound Dog House: Conclusion
If your Plott Hound stays outside then he needs to have a suitable place to snooze and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these simple tips on building a dog house for the Plott Hound will help you get started.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Plott Hounds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂