More than fifty percent of the population permit their English Shepherds to live inside and sleep on their couch or in the owner’s bed. For those of you who are wondering how to build a dog house for your English Shepherd, to follow are our easy rules to follow when deciding what type of house you want to build for your English Shepherd.
How to Build a House for Your English Shepherd: Size
1. You should begin your house building process by ensuring the house is big enough to accommodate your English Shepherd’s potential mature size. Humans enjoy having around 2 feet of air overhead in a room to live without feeling claustrophobic. Your English Shepherd will probably also enjoy having that much space. The target zone for both people and English Shepherds is approximately thrity-three percent of their standing height. To calculate how much space the English Shepherd will need get a measuring tape and measure your English Shepherd. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the English Shepherd when he is in the most stretched out, comfortable, and relaxed position he can get into. Your English Shepherd should be able to look out the front entrance when both sitting and standing. So the English Shepherd will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his belly, make sure that entrance is high enough. Stand over the English Shepherd and measure the breadth of the broadest point of the English Shepherd’s shoulders.
Building a House for Your English Shepherd: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to elevate the house several inches from the ground to permit air and water to flow below. To dissuade pests from invading the dog house, and taking your English Shepherd’s health into consideration, remember how important ventilation is. Put in a few nickel-sized openings in the walls underneath the eaves. Install a wind block inside the house so the English Shepherd can use the warmth of its own body to warm up the area if it is really cold or windy outside. Think about adding a partial wall which will help your English Shepherd to escape the inclement weather. Your English Shepherd can decide to just snooze in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved pet would probably love having a pillow or some sort of pallet to snooze on.
How to Build a Dog House for Your English Shepherd: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain entering the dog house make the floor just a little bit angled in the direction of the doorway and construct the roof a little bit tilted, as well. Ensure the house is well insulated but you should not paint the inside.
4. In the US most storms come from the west and south so make sure the house faces a different direction. Most house blueprints recommend that the dog house entrance faces east. The cold air will not be able to rush through the entryway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your English Shepherd’s House
5. It’s suggested that you put hinges on the roof when you build your English Shepherd a house. This makes it easier for you to clean out your English Shepherd’s house. You should clean out the English Shepherd’s house as frequently as you give your English Shepherd a bath.
English Shepherd Dog House: Conclusion
If your English Shepherd lives outdoors then he deserves to have a comfortable place to sleep and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for your English Shepherd will help you begin.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about English Shepherds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂