Over 50 percent of owners permit their Broholmers to stay inside and sleep on their sofa or in the owner’s bed. For those of you who are wanting to know how to build a dog house for your Broholmer, here are some simple rules to follow when figuring out what type of house you want to build for your Broholmer.
How to Build a House for Your Broholmer: Size
1. You should begin your house building process by making sure the house is big enough to fit your Broholmer’s potential mature size. As humans, we enjoy having approximately 2 feet of air overhead in a room to live without feeling claustrophobic. The Broholmer will probably also appreciate having that much space. The target zone for both humans and Broholmers is about a third of their standing height. To figure out how much space the Broholmer will need get out a measuring tape and measure your Broholmer. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and especially measure the full dimension of the Broholmer when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your Broholmer should be able to look out the front door while both standing up and sitting. So the Broholmer won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his belly, make sure that entrance is high enough. Stand over the Broholmer and measure the width of the broadest point of the animal’s shoulders.
Building Your Broholmer a House: Elevation
2. Remember to raise the dog house several inches from the ground to allow air and water to flow underneath. To discourage pests from entering the house, and taking your Broholmer’s health into consideration, remember how important air circulation is. Put in a few nickel-sized holes in the panels under the eaves. Install a wind block inside the house so the Broholmer can use the heat of its body to warm up the space if it is extremely cold or breezy outside. Think about adding a partial wall which will help your Broholmer to escape the bad weather. Your Broholmer can choose to just sleep in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved pet would probably appreciate having a cushion or some sort of bedding to sleep on.
Building Your Broholmer a Dog House: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain coming into the dog house make the floor just a bit slanted toward the door and build the roof a little bit tilted, as well. Ensure the dog house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the interior.
4. In America most storms come from the west and south so make sure the dog house is facing a different direction. Most house plans recommend that the dog house entryway faces east. The cold air will not be able to rush through the entrance then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Broholmer’s House
5. It’s suggested that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Broholmer a dog house. This makes it easier for you to empty your Broholmer’s house. You should clean out your Broholmer’s house as frequently as you give your Broholmer a bath.
Broholmer Dog House: Conclusion
If your Broholmer lives outdoors then he needs to have a suitable place to sleep and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these easy tips on building a dog house for your Broholmer will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Broholmers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂