Greater than 50% of people permit their Silken Windhounds to live inside and sleep on the sofa or in the owner’s bed. For those of y’all who are wanting to know how to build a dog house for your Silken Windhound, to follow are our simple rules to follow when considering what type of shelter you want to build for your Silken Windhound.
Building Your Silken Windhound a House: Size
1. You should begin your dog house building process by making sure the house is large enough to accommodate your Silken Windhound’s potential adult size. Humans enjoy having about 2 feet of air above us in a room to live without feeling boxed in. Your Silken Windhound will also appreciate having that much space. The comfort zone for both people and Silken Windhounds is approximately 33% of their standing height. To calculate how much space the Silken Windhound will need go get a tape measure and measure your Silken Windhound. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and especially measure the full dimension of the Silken Windhound when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your Silken Windhound should be able to look out the front entrance while both standing up and sitting. So the Silken Windhound will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his belly, make sure that door is high enough. Stand over the Silken Windhound and measure the breadth of the widest point of the Silken Windhound’s shoulders.
Building Your Silken Windhound a Dog House: Elevation
2. Remember to raise the dog house several inches from the ground to allow air and water to flow underneath. To dissuade pests from invading the dog house, and taking your Silken Windhound’s health into consideration, remember how important ventilation is. Put in a few nickel-sized holes in the walls below the eaves. Put a wind block inside the dog house so the Silken Windhound can use the warmth of its own body to warm up the area if it is very cold or windy outside. Consider adding a partial panel which will permit your Silken Windhound to escape the bad weather. Your animal can decide to just snooze in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved pet would probably love having a cushion or some sort of bedding to snooze on.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Silken Windhound: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain entering the house make the floor just a bit slanted toward the opening and build the roof a little bit slanted, as well. Ensure the dog house is well insulated but you should not paint the interior.
4. In America most storms come from the west and south so make sure the house faces a different direction. Most house blueprints suggest that the dog house entryway faces east. The cold air won’t be able to rush through the opening then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Silken Windhound’s House
5. It’s recommended that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Silken Windhound a dog house. This makes it easier for you to empty your Silken Windhound’s home. You should empty the Silken Windhound’s house as much as you give your Silken Windhound a bath.
Silken Windhound Dog House: Conclusion
If your Silken Windhound stays outdoors then he needs to have a suitable place to snooze and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these simple tips on building a dog house for your Silken Windhound will help you begin.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Silken Windhounds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂