Over 50% of owners permit their Neapolitan Mastiffs to stay inside and sleep on the sofa or in the bed. For those of you who are interested in how to build a dog house for your Neapolitan Mastiff, to follow are our easy rules to follow when deciding what type of house you want to build for your Neapolitan Mastiff.
How to Build Your Neapolitan Mastiff a House: Size
1. You should begin your dog house building process by ensuring the house is large enough to accommodate your Neapolitan Mastiff’s potential mature size. We enjoy having around two feet of air overhead in a room in order to live without feeling claustrophobic. The Neapolitan Mastiff will also appreciate having that much room. The comfort zone for both humans and Neapolitan Mastiffs is around 1/3 of their standing height. To calculate how much room the Neapolitan Mastiff will need go get a measuring tape and measure your Neapolitan Mastiff. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Neapolitan Mastiff when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your Neapolitan Mastiff should be able to look out the front entrance while both standing up and sitting. So the Neapolitan Mastiff will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his stomach, make sure that entrance is high enough. Stand above the Neapolitan Mastiff and measure the width of the widest point of the animal’s shoulders.
How to Build Your Neapolitan Mastiff a House: Elevation
2. Remember to elevate the house several inches from the ground to allow air and water to flow underneath. To dissuade pests from entering the dog house, and taking your Neapolitan Mastiff’s health into consideration, remember how vital fresh air is. Install a few nickel-sized openings in the panels below the eaves. Install a wind block inside the house so the Neapolitan Mastiff can use the warmth of its own body to warm up the space if it is extremely cold or windy outside. Consider adding a partial panel which will allow your Neapolitan Mastiff to escape the bad weather. Your Neapolitan Mastiff can decide to just snooze in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved pet would probably love having a cushion or some sort of bedding to sleep on.
How to Build Your Neapolitan Mastiff a House: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain entering the dog house make the floor just a little bit slanted in the direction of the door and build the roof a little bit tilted, as well. Ensure the dog house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the inside.
4. In America most storms come from the west and south so ensure the dog house is facing a different direction. Most house plans suggest that the house entrance faces east. The cold air won’t be able to rush through the entrance then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Neapolitan Mastiff’s House
5. It’s suggested that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Neapolitan Mastiff a house. This makes it easier for you to empty out your Neapolitan Mastiff’s house. You should empty out the Neapolitan Mastiff’s house as much as you give your Neapolitan Mastiff a bath.
Neapolitan Mastiff Dog House: Conclusion
If your Neapolitan Mastiff stays outdoors then he needs to have a pleasant place to sleep and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these easy tips on building a dog house for your Neapolitan Mastiff will help you get started.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Neapolitan Mastiffs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂