Training a Portuguese Pointer is very easy. All you need is dedication, patience together with these easy to learn tactics and you will train them successfully.
Below we share five Helpful Techniques for how you can break in the Portuguese Pointer with fantastic results:
1. To prevent your Portuguese Pointer from getting confused and in order that they will be able to begin to recognize orders readily only one person should train a Portuguese Pointer in the beginning. In instances where too many people are trying to train the Portuguese Pointer at once it might stop progress.
2. Trainers must use positive reinforcements and feedback. If the Portuguese Pointer listens, the trainier must reward the action so he will understand that what he did was correct. If your Portuguese Pointer will not understand your commands, never scold him. Portuguese Pointers are not as smart as us, they take longer to learn. What you must accept is that a Portuguese Pointer won’t readily understand all your instructions in the first session, it requires repetition to train your Portuguese Pointer successfully. Don’t harass your Portuguese Pointer as he could develop timidness which might stunt his learning and ability to be broken in. Trainers might use treats in order to praise a Portuguese Pointer, but you shouldn’t overdue it.
3. Teach commands one at a time. Make sure to train him on one instruction after the other. In the event he will not remember it, just remain on that command only because trying more commands will most likely just confuse the Portuguese Pointer. Rely on the basics.
4. While giving instructions, you should keep your tone pleasant so your Portuguese Pointer will gleefully submit to your lessons. Portuguese Pointers respond best to a low and coaxing voice. If you yell, he may become unresponsive and afraid.
5. Train the Portuguese Pointer in different environments. When you keep a Portuguese Pointer in just 1 certain place like your home, he might not have the ability to adapt to a different place with new people. Take him to the dog park or through your neighborhood. This will assist your Portuguese Pointer associate with more people and breeds.
Training Your Portuguese Pointer: Conclusion
Teaching a Portuguese Pointer can often be challenging, but it will always be worth it. In the end, you will be the lucky one when your Portuguese Pointer is trained. You don’t know, he may even save your life one day and pay back everything you taught him.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Portuguese Pointers
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂