We all dream of training the perfect Redbone Coonhound, a pup that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and dependable at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the teaching is performed with care and dedication. Don’t forget pups learn from the first day and really need to be instructed what is correct, what is not, and correct socialization.
Pups are like kids, they have to have continuous supervision and teaching. Training a pup doesn’t have to be an ordeal, all you need to think about are a few straightforward guidelines:
Ten Tips For Training Your Redbone Coonhound
- Til your pup is trained, you need to keep an eye on him at all times. If you can’t then you will need to crate him. Create a schedule for the pup, this will serve to help her to settle down quickly. The schedule needs to consist of things such as regular bathroom breaks, feeding times, relaxation times, strolls, play time, exercise, etc. A pup that has a hectic day has no time to become bored or misbehave.
- Teach the pup to respect you. Redbone Coonhounds stay in packs and naturally adhere to a leader. Once you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then coaching will come easy because the pup will heed you at all times and not question your authority.
- Use only encouraging training techniques. Do not ever yell at, hit, or abuse your Redbone Coonhound. It’s not just cruel but can easily result in behavioral challenges. Use of electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth can injure the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in life is free.” This is a philosophy that is widely recognized as a reliable coaching method. If you practice this, your pup will learn that to experience something like love, a stroll, or snack, he needs to behave well.
- Show the significance of “No,” from the first day. Do not endorse behaviors such as jumping, growling, tug-o-war, howling, or running out of open gates and doors. Celebrate courtesy and ignore or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly learn that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a habit you must catch the Redbone Coonhound in the process and surprise him by shaking a bottle of stones. When you have done this help him straighten out his behavior and instantly offer him a treat and appreciation. Redbone Coonhounds do not call to mind what took place earlier so rebuking him after an event is futile.
- Be sure to call/use his name positively. Never ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger mental confusion and the Redbone Coonhound will presume that if you call his name then it is something negative. The doggie needs to identify his name with pleasant things like hugs, petting, walks, treats, and such. If this takes place he will approach willingly when you call out his name.
- Make a teaching schedule that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes thrice a day. Prolonged repetitive lessons can be dull and the Redbone Coonhound is going to lose interest in learning. Make lessons interesting and use trick training to explain directions like sit, down, come and so on.
- Bond with the Redbone Coonhound and both of you will certainly have fun with your lessons. The pup should eagerly anticipate spending time with you and not keep away from you by turning tail or hiding. Make certain to socialize the doggie early. Socialization is among the most essential teachings. The Redbone Coonhound should master how to exist around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, slowly introduce the dog when he is little to normal events and sounds. Take him to the shopping center/ dog park, present him to kids and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and garden hose.
- Get to know everything about house training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are basic lessons that every Redbone Coonhound puppy needs to master. Understand all the characteristics and peculiarities of the breed. This will give you important ideas on how to properly educate the pup.
As a Redbone Coonhound owner you have a lot of options. You could choose to train the Redbone Coonhound yourself or enroll at a skilled professional training school. Training a Redbone Coonhound has many phases: kindergarten, behavior training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, in addition to other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What standard you decide to coach is dependent on you along with the brainpower of your Redbone Coonhound. As you recognize, various dogs, like people, have different talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Redbone Coonhound pup will have good times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Redbone Coonhounds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂