All of us long for training the perfect Laekenois, a puppy that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is well mannered and responsible at all times. Well dreams do come true if the training is done with care and focus. Always remember pups learn from the first day and really need to be shown what is correct, what is not, and ideal interpersonal skills.
Pups behave like children, they demand frequent supervision and instruction. Training a pup need not be a chore, all you need to consider are a few straightforward principles:
10 Tips For Training Your Laekenois
- Til your pup is trained, you want to keep an eye on her at all times. When you are unable to then you must crate him. Establish a routine for the pup, that will serve to help her to settle down very quickly. The calendar has to consist of things such as hourly potty visits, feeding times, break periods, strolls, play time, training, and more. A pup that has a very busy day has no time at all to be bored or get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to value you. Laekenoiss stay in packs and naturally adhere to a leader. If you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then instructing will come easy as the pup will heed orders at all times and not test your authority.
- Utilize only positive training techniques. Don’t holler at, whack, or punish your Laekenois. It is not just terrible but might provoke behavioral concerns. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc could quite possibly harm the animal.
- Teach the pup “absolutely nothing in life is free.” This is a method of teaching that is generally recognized as a helpful training method. As you apply this, the pup will discover that to experience something like affection, a stroll, or snack, he must act well.
- Show the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not encourage actions like jumping, growling, tug-o-war, yapping, or escaping open gates and doors. Commend great behavior and dismiss or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly realize that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To fix a behavior you must catch the Laekenois in the process and startle her by shaking a jar of pebbles. When you have done this make him deal with his behavior and instantly give him a treat and praise. Laekenoiss do not think of what took place previously so scolding him after an occurrence is futile.
- Always call/use his name favorably. Do not say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create confusion and the Laekenois will think that if you call his name then it is something negative. The doggie must connect his name with pleasant events like hugs, petting, walks, treats, and such. If this occurs he will come willingly as soon as you call out his name.
- Establish a training routine that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes 3 times a day. Prolonged repetitive sessions can be uninspiring and the Laekenois will lose interest in the learning session. Help make learning enjoyable and use trick training sessions to demonstrate directions like sit, down, come and so on.
- Connect with the Laekenois and both of you are going to enjoy your sessions. The pup must wait to spending time with you and not stay away from you by running away or hiding. Make sure to socialize the puppy dog very early. Socialization is one of the most crucial teachings. The Laekenois should master how to coexist around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, slowly and gradually introduce the doggy when he is small to ordinary activities and sounds. Take him to the market/ park, introduce him to children and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and garden hose.
- Learn everything about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, along with food training. These are introductory lessons that every Laekenois puppy needs to understand. Learn about all the mannerisms as well as distinctive features of the breed. This will give you useful information on how to properly instruct the doggy.
As a Laekenois parent you have numerous choices. You can decide to train the Laekenois yourself or sign up at a competent training school. Training a Laekenois has many levels: preschool, behavior training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, and other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so forth. What degree you decide to instruct hinges on you together with the brainpower of your Laekenois. As you understand, different dogs, like human beings, possess varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Laekenois pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Laekenoiss.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂