We all imagine training the perfect English Shepherd, a puppy that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and reliable at all times. Well dreams do come true when the training is performed with care and focus. Don’t forget pups learn from the first day and want to be taught what is correct, what is wrong, and ideal interpersonal skills.
Puppies act like small children, they need to get continuous guidance and instruction. Training a pup need not be a challenge, all you have to think about are a few basic principles:
10 Tips For Training Your English Shepherd
- Til your pup is trained, you need to keep an eye on him at all times. Once you are unable to then you should cage him. Develop a calendar for the pup, that will serve to help him to settle very quickly. The schedule has to include things like regular potty visits, eating times, sleep times, walks, play time, teaching, et cetera. A pup that has a busy day has no time to become unoccupied and get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to respect you. English Shepherds live in packs and naturally comply with a leader. If you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then coaching will eventually become easy because the pup will comply with you at all times and not challenge your authority.
- Use only constructive training methods. Don’t yell at, strike, or abuse your English Shepherd. It is not just cruel but will create behavioral concerns. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on could easily wound the animal.
- Teach the pup “absolutely nothing in this life is without cost.” This is a mantra that is broadly accepted as an useful training method. As you practice this, the pup will learn that to get anything like affection, a stroll, or treat, he will need to act properly.
- Show the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not embrace behaviors such as leaping, yelping, tug-o-war, snarling, or escaping open gates and doors. Praise good behavior and disregard or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will discover that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To correct a habit you need to witness the English Shepherd in the process and surprise her by rattling a canister of stones. When you have done this help him deal with his behavior and instantly give him a snack and appreciation. English Shepherds do not call to mind what transpired earlier so rebuking him after an event is futile.
- Be sure you call/use his name favorably. Never ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will induce mental confusion and the English Shepherd will believe that if you call his name then it is something negative. The puppy needs to link his name with happy times like hugs, petting, walks, food, and such. If this takes place he will approach happily if you call out his name.
- Create a coaching routine that is short and sweet, about ten minutes 3 times a day. Prolonged repeated lessons can be uninspiring and the English Shepherd is going to lose interest in learning. Make lessons fun and use trick training to teach directions like sit, down, come etc.
- Bond with the English Shepherd and both of you will love your lessons. The pup should anticipate spending quality time with you and not stay clear of you by breaking away or taking cover. Be sure to socialize the dog early on. Socialization is among the most essential teachings. The English Shepherd must definitely learn to be with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly and gradually introduce the pup when he is small to everyday tasks and noises. Take him to the shopping mall/ park, present him to kids and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Learn everything about potty training, leash walking, house breaking, together with food training. These are kindergarten lessons that every English Shepherd puppy should grasp. Understand all the mannerisms and qualities of the breed. This will give you important ideas on how to effectively train the puppy.
As a English Shepherd owner you have lots of choices. You could very well decide to train the English Shepherd yourself or register at a competent training school. Training a English Shepherd has many steps: preschool, behavior training, dog sports, showing and conformation, in addition to other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so on. What level you choose to teach hinges on you as well as the learning abilities of your English Shepherd. As you realize, different dogs, like human beings, have varied talents. Choose well and both you and your English Shepherd pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about English Shepherds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂