All of us long for training the perfect Tosa, a pet that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is well behaved and reliable at all times. Well dreams do come true when the instruction is done with kindness and dedication. Do not forget pups learn from the first day and want to be shown what is correct, what isn’t, and proper socialization.
Pups act like young children, they desire continuous direction and instruction. Training a pup need not be an ordeal, all you need to bear in mind are a few straightforward guidelines:
10 Tips For Training Your Tosa
- Till your pup learns, you want to keep an eye on her at all times. Whenever you aren’t able to then you will need to crate him. Develop a routine for the pup, that will enable her to settle very quickly. The plan has to incorporate things such as hourly bathroom breaks, feeding times, sleep times, walks, play time, training, et cetera. A pup that has a busy day has no time for being bored and misbehave.
- Teach the pup to respect you. Tosas live in packs and instinctively comply with a leader. Once you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then training will come easy as the pup will comply with orders at all times and not test your power.
- Utilize only encouraging training techniques. Don’t holler at, strike, or abuse your Tosa. It’s not only unkind but can easily bring about behavioral challenges. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc could certainly hurt the animal.
- Teach the pup “nothing in life is free.” This is a method of teaching that is commonly regarded as a very useful training method. When you reinforce this, the pup will discover that to experience anything like affection, a walk, or snack, he must behave properly.
- Present the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not endorse behaviors such as jumping, mouthing, tug-o-war, snarling, or running out of open gates and doorways. Commend good behavior and disregard or walk away when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly discover that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To deal with a behavior you have to witness the Tosa in the process and surprise her by rattling a container of stones. When you have done this make him fix his behavior and immediately give him a snack and praise. Tosas do not recall what transpired prior so rebuking him after an event is useless.
- Be certain to call/use his name favorably. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will result in mental confusion and the Tosa will believe that if you call his name then it is for something negative. The dog needs to link his name with pleasant times like hugs, petting, walks, snacks, and such. If this takes place he will respond willingly anytime you call his name.
- Establish a coaching routine that is short and sweet, say ten minutes thrice a day. Lengthy recurring lessons can be monotonous and the Tosa is going to lose interest in learning. Make lessons fun-filled and use trick training sessions to demonstrate orders like sit, down, come and so on.
- Bond with the Tosa and both of you will certainly appreciate your sessions. The pup must hope for spending time with you and not avoid you by turning tail or hiding. Be sure to socialize the puppy as soon as possible. Socialization is one of the most vital lessons. The Tosa needs to learn to coexist with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, slowly introduce the puppy dog when he is small to common activities and noises. Take him to the store/ park, present him to kids and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and water hose.
- Study everything about house training, leash walking, house breaking, along with food training. These are introductory lessons that every Tosa puppy should learn. Understand all the mannerisms and qualities of the breed. This will give you valuable ideas on how to successfully educate the dog.
As a Tosa parent you have many choices. You could possibly choose to train the Tosa by yourself or enroll at a qualified training school. Training a Tosa has many levels: preschool, behavior training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, as well as other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so forth. What standard you decide to train depends upon you in addition to the brainpower of your Tosa. As you recognize, various dogs, like people, possess varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Tosa pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Tosas.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂