All of us long for training the perfect Great Dane, a pet that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is well mannered and dependable at all times. Well dreams do come true when the education is performed with care and focus. Realize pups learn from day one and need to be advised what is correct, what is wrong, and ideal interpersonal skills.
Pups are just like small children, they need continuous direction and teaching. Training a pup need not be a chore, all you have to remember are a few simple principles:
10 Tips For Training Your Great Dane
- Up until your pup is trained, you need to keep an eye on him at all times. If you aren’t able to then you will need to cage him. Make a schedule for the pup, that will help him to settle fast. The calendar will need to include things like regular bathroom breaks, eating times, sleep periods, strolls, play time, training, and more. A pup that has a full day has no time at all to be unoccupied and get into mischief.
- Train the pup to respect you. Great Danes live in packs and instinctively comply with a leader. Once you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then instructing will get easy as the pup will obey orders at all times and not test your power.
- Utilize exclusively encouraging training strategies. Do not ever holler at, hit, or punish your Great Dane. It is not just unkind but may provoke behavioral challenges. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth might wound the animal.
- Teach the pup “nothing in life is free.” This is a method of teaching that is universally regarded as a very useful training method. When you apply this, the pup will be taught that to get something like affection, a stroll, or treat, he will need to act well.
- Show the significance of “No,” from day one. Do not encourage behaviors like jumping, yelping, tug-o-war, snarling, or running out of open gates and doors. Celebrate good behavior and just ignore or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly discover that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a behavior you will need to catch the Great Dane in the process and startle him by shaking a container of rocks. When you have done this help him improve his behavior and immediately offer him a treat and appreciation. Great Danes do not recall what took place prior so reprimanding him after an occurrence is futile.
- Be sure you call/use his name positively. Never say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger confusion and the Great Dane will believe that if you call his name then it is for something negative. The dog should correlate his name with happy times like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this takes place he will respond happily as soon as you call out his name.
- Establish a coaching schedule that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes 3 times a day. Lengthy recurring sessions can be boring and the Great Dane is going to lose interest in the learning session. Help make lessons fun and use trick training sessions to explain commands like sit, down, come and so forth.
- Connect with the Great Dane and both of you will definitely love your lessons. The pup must eagerly anticipate spending time with you and not stay clear of you by turning tail or hiding. Be sure to socialize the dog very early. Socialization is one of the most vital lessons. The Great Dane needs to master how to coexist around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, slowly but surely introduce the pup when he is small to day-to-day activities and noises. Take him to the shopping centre/ playground, introduce him to kids and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and garden hose.
- Learn all about potty training, leash walking, house breaking, as well as food training. These are training 101 lessons that every Great Dane puppy must learn. Learn about all the traits and qualities of the breed. This will give you important ideas on how to properly teach the doggie.
As a Great Dane parent you have numerous options. You may choose to train the Great Dane by yourself or register at a skilled professional training school. Training a Great Dane has numerous steps: preschool, behavior training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, along with other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What degree you decide to instruct hinges on you in addition to the learning abilities of your Great Dane. As you realize, different dogs, like people, have different talents. Choose well and both you and your Great Dane pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Great Danes.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂