All of us hope for training the perfect Bergamasco Shepherd, a puppy that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is well mannered and reliable at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the education is done with kindness and dedication. Never forget pups learn from day one and really need to be advised what is correct, what is not, and ideal interpersonal skills.
Pups are just like children, they have to have frequent guidance and instruction. Training a pup doesn’t have to be an ordeal, all you need to bear in mind are a few simple principles:
10 Tips For Training Your Bergamasco Shepherd
- Til your pup learns, you must keep an eye on him at all times. Once you can’t then you must cage her. Create a routine for the pup, this will enable her to calm down fast. The routine should consist of things like hourly potty breaks, eating times, sleep periods, strolls, play time, training, and so on. A pup that has a hectic day has no time to get bored or get into mischief.
- Train the pup to heed you. Bergamasco Shepherds live in packs and naturally comply with a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then instructing will eventually become easy because the pup will follow you at all times and not question your authority.
- Use exclusively encouraging training methods. Never ever shout at, smack, or punish your Bergamasco Shepherd. It is not only harsh but might bring about behavioral concerns. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, et cetera could easily harm the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in life is without cost.” This is a philosophy that is broadly recognized as a practical training tool. If you emphasize this, your pup will discover that to get anything like affection, a stroll, or snack, he needs to behave properly.
- Demonstrate the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not encourage behaviors such as jumping, growling, tug-o-war, barking, or escaping open gates and doors. Celebrate great behavior and disregard or walk away when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly learn that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To correct a habit you should catch the Bergamasco Shepherd in the process and startle him by shaking a container of pebbles. Once you have done this make him improve his behavior and immediately give him a treat and approval. Bergamasco Shepherds do not call to mind what took place prior so rebuking him after an event is of no use.
- Make sure to call/use his name positively. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will result in confusion and the Bergamasco Shepherd will presume that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The pup needs to relate his name with happy times like hugs, petting, strolls, snacks, and such. If this transpires he will come happily the moment you call out his name.
- Make a training schedule that is short and sweet, about ten minutes 3 times a day. Long recurring sessions can be dull and the Bergamasco Shepherd will lose interest in learning. Help make training exciting and use trick training to show orders like sit, down, come etc.
- Bond with the Bergamasco Shepherd and both of you will definitely get a kick out of your lessons. The pup should look forward to spending quality time with you and not stay clear of you by running away or hiding. Make certain to socialize the young dog early on. Socialization is among the most crucial lessons. The Bergamasco Shepherd has to learn to be with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, slowly introduce the pup when he is small to normal endeavors and noises. Take him to the market/ dog park, introduce him to children and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and water hose.
- Discover all about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, together with food training. These are remedial lessons that every Bergamasco Shepherd puppy has to master. Understand all the idiosyncrasies as well as distinctive features of the breed. This will give you useful insights on how to successfully teach the dog.
As a Bergamasco Shepherd owner you have lots of options. You may choose to train the Bergamasco Shepherd by yourself or enroll at a professional training school. Training a Bergamasco Shepherd has several stages: kindergarten, behavior training, doggie sports, showing and conformation, and other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so on. What level you decide to teach depends on you as well as the learning abilities of your Bergamasco Shepherd. As you are aware, various dogs, like humans, possess different talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Bergamasco Shepherd pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Bergamasco Shepherds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂