We all dream of training the perfect Tornjak, a pet that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and dependable at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the education is performed with kindness and commitment. Keep in mind pups learn from day one and want to be advised what is right, what is wrong, and effective interpersonal skills.
Puppies act like small children, they want to have frequent direction and teaching. Training a pup doesn’t have to be a challenge, all you have to think about are a few basic rules:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Tornjak
- Until your pup is trained, you must keep an eye on her at all times. If you can’t then you have to cage him. Establish a calendar for the pup, this will help him to calm down easily. The routine should include things like regular bathroom breaks, feeding times, rest periods, strolls, play time, exercise, etc. A pup that has a busy day has no time to be unoccupied and misbehave.
- Teach the pup to appreciate you. Tornjaks stay in packs and instinctively need a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then teaching will get easy as the pup will obey you at all times and not question your authority.
- Use only positive training methods. Do not ever scream at, whack, or punish your Tornjak. It is not just cruel but might provoke behavioral problems. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth could easily hurt the animal.
- Teach the pup “nothing in this life is free.” This is a system that is broadly recognized as a practical teaching method. In the event that you execute this, the pup will learn that to get anything like affection, a walk, or treat, he needs to act properly.
- Explain the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not endorse behaviors such as leaping, mouthing, tug-o-war, howling, or running out of open gates and doors. Compliment proper behavior and dismiss or walk away when there is bad conduct. The pup will realize that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To deal with a behavior you must witness the Tornjak in the act and startle her by rattling a container of rocks. As soon as you have done this help him fix his behavior and instantly give him a snack and appreciation. Tornjaks do not recollect what transpired previously so rebuking him after an occurrence is futile.
- Always call/use his name positively. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger confusion and the Tornjak will think that if you call his name then it is something negative. The dog should correlate his name with happy events like hugs, petting, walks, treats, and such. If this transpires he will respond willingly when you call out his name.
- Develop a coaching regimen that is short and sweet, about ten minutes thrice a day. Long repetitive sessions can be boring and the Tornjak will lose interest in the learning session. Make training entertaining and use trick training sessions to demonstrate directions like sit, down, come etc.
- Connect with the Tornjak and both of you are going to appreciate your lessons. The pup should hope for hanging out with you and not steer clear of you by breaking away or hiding. Be sure to socialize the young dog very early. Socialization is one of the most significant teachings. The Tornjak should master how to exist with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, gradually introduce the puppy dog when he is little to common endeavors and noises. Take him to the store/ dog park, introduce him to children and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Learn all about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, in addition to food training. These are training 101 lessons that every Tornjak puppy needs to learn. Learn about all the characteristics and peculiarities of the breed. This will give you valuable insights on how to successfully coach the puppy dog.
As a Tornjak parent you have numerous options. You could possibly choose to train the Tornjak yourself or enroll at a skilled professional training school. Training a Tornjak has several levels: kindergarten, obedience training, dog sports, showing and conformation, along with other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What standard you decide to coach depends on you together with the learning abilities of your Tornjak. As you realize, various dogs, like humans, have different talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Tornjak pup will have good times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Tornjaks.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂