All of us dream of training the perfect Carolina Dog, a pet that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is well behaved and responsible at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the instruction is done with kindness and dedication. Bear in mind pups learn from day one and need to be informed what is correct, what isn’t, and ideal socialization.
Puppies behave like children, they need to have constant direction and training. Training a pup needn’t be a challenge, all you have to bear in mind are a few straightforward principles:
10 Tips For Training Your Carolina Dog
- Till your pup is trained, you need to keep an eye on her at all times. When you can’t then you will need to cage him. Develop a calendar for the pup, this will help him to calm down very quickly. The calendar will need to include things such as regular potty visits, feeding times, sleep periods, walks, play time, instruction, and so forth. A pup that has a busy day has no time to be unoccupied or misbehave.
- Train the pup to appreciate you. Carolina Dogs live in packs and naturally comply with a leader. If you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then coaching will end up being easy because the pup will heed orders at all times and not question your authority.
- Use only constructive training tactics. Never ever yell at, attack, or punish your Carolina Dog. It’s not just cruel but might lead to behavioral issues. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth could injure the animal.
- Teach the pup “nothing in this life is free.” This is a system that is widely acknowledged as a valuable teaching tool. As you apply this, the pup will learn that to get anything like love, a stroll, or reward, he needs to act well.
- Demonstrate the significance of “No,” from day one. Do not embrace actions such as jumping, yelping, tug-o-war, howling, or escaping open gates and doors. Celebrate good behavior and disregard or walk away when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly learn that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To correct a behavior you will need to witness the Carolina Dog in the act and surprise her by rattling a jar of stones. As soon as you have done this help him fix his behavior and instantly give him a snack and approval. Carolina Dogs do not recall what transpired prior so scolding him after an event is of no use.
- At all times call/use his name favorably. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will cause mental confusion and the Carolina Dog will believe that if you call his name then it is something bad. The dog should affiliate his name with happy things like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this transpires he will respond happily the second you call his name.
- Generate a training regimen that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes three times a day. Extensive repeated trainings can be boring and the Carolina Dog will lose interest in learning. Help make lessons fun-filled and use trick training sessions to demonstrate commands like sit, down, come and so on.
- Bond with the Carolina Dog and both of you will definitely get a kick out of your sessions. The pup should expect spending time with you and not keep away from you by turning tail or taking cover. Be sure to socialize the doggie quickly. Socialization is among the most vital lessons. The Carolina Dog will need to master how to exist around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly but surely introduce the dog when he is small to everyday tasks and sounds. Take him to the mall/ park, present him to children and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and garden hose.
- Discover all about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, along with food training. These are rudimentary lessons that every Carolina Dog puppy has to understand. Learn about all the idiosyncrasies as well as qualities of the breed. This will give you important insights on how to effectively teach the dog.
As a Carolina Dog owner you have numerous options. You could very well decide to train the Carolina Dog on your own or enroll at a pro training school. Training a Carolina Dog has numerous phases: kindergarten, behavior training, doggie sports, showing and conformation, along with other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What level you decide to coach hinges on you as well as the learning abilities of your Carolina Dog. As you know, different dogs, like people, have varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Carolina Dog pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Carolina Dogs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂