All of us dream of training the perfect Bavarian Mountain Hound, a pup that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and trustworthy at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the training is performed with kindness and commitment. Don’t forget pups learn from day one and need to be shown what is correct, what isn’t, and proper socialization.
Pups act like small children, they crave regular guidance and instruction. Training a pup doesn’t have to be a nightmare, all you need to think about are a few straightforward principles:
Ten Tips For Training Your Bavarian Mountain Hound
- Until your pup learns, you want to keep an eye on her at all times. If you are unable to then you have to cage her. Establish a calendar for the pup, this will serve to help her to calm down quickly. The plan has to include things such as regular potty breaks, eating times, relaxation periods, walks, play time, exercise, et cetera. A pup that has a busy day has no time to get unoccupied or misbehave.
- Train the pup to appreciate you. Bavarian Mountain Hounds stay in packs and instinctively follow a leader. If you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then instructing will get easy as the pup will follow you at all times and not defy your power.
- Use only constructive training methods. Never holler at, strike, or abuse your Bavarian Mountain Hound. It is not only cruel but might cause behavioral issues. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth may wound the animal.
- Teach the pup “absolutely nothing in this life is free.” This is a mantra that is generally acknowledged as a valuable training method. As you reinforce this, your pup will find out that to get something like affection, a stroll, or snack, he has to behave properly.
- Explain the significance of “No,” from the first day. Do not embrace behaviors like leaping, yelping, tug-o-war, yipping, or escaping open gates and doorways. Celebrate courtesy and just ignore or leave when there is bad behavior. The pup will learn that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To fix a behavior you need to witness the Bavarian Mountain Hound in the process and startle her by shaking a can of pebbles. When you have done this make him correct his behavior and instantly offer him a treat and praise. Bavarian Mountain Hounds do not call to mind what happened prior so reprimanding him after an occurrence is of no use.
- Make sure to call/use his name favorably. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create confusion and the Bavarian Mountain Hound will believe that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The pup needs to relate his name with pleasant things like hugs, petting, walks, snacks, and such. If this transpires he will come happily the minute you call his name.
- Develop a training schedule that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes three times a day. Extensive repeated trainings can be uninspiring and the Bavarian Mountain Hound is going to lose interest in learning. Make learning exciting and use trick training sessions to show directions like sit, down, come and more.
- Bond with the Bavarian Mountain Hound and both of you will have fun with your lessons. The pup must anticipate spending time with you and not stay clear of you by breaking away or hiding. Be sure to socialize the puppy very early. Socialization is one of the most important lessons. The Bavarian Mountain Hound needs to master how to be around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, slowly but surely introduce the pup when he is small to day-to-day activities and noises. Take him to the mall/ playground, present him to children and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum and water hose.
- Understand all about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, along with food training. These are remedial lessons that every Bavarian Mountain Hound puppy must master. Know about all the mannerisms in addition to peculiarities of the breed. This will give you valuable ideas on how to properly train the doggie.
As a Bavarian Mountain Hound owner you have several choices. You could certainly choose to train the Bavarian Mountain Hound by yourself or register at a qualified training school. Training a Bavarian Mountain Hound has numerous stages: preschool, obedience training, doggy sports, showing and conformation, and other aspects like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What level you decide to train is dependent on you together with the learning abilities of your Bavarian Mountain Hound. As you know, various dogs, like humans, possess varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Bavarian Mountain Hound pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Bavarian Mountain Hounds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂