All of us imagine training the perfect Old English Sheepdog, a puppy that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and responsible at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the instruction is done with care and dedication. Always remember pups learn from the first day and need to be advised what is right, what is wrong, and correct socialization.
Pups are just like kids, they need frequent supervision and teaching. Training a pup need not be an ordeal, all you want to bear in mind are a few straightforward guidelines:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Old English Sheepdog
- Up until your pup is trained, you want to keep an eye on him at all times. When you can not then you should crate her. Develop a plan for the pup, this will help him to settle fast. The routine has to consist of things like hourly bathroom visits, feeding times, sleep times, walks, play time, exercise, etc. A pup that has a very busy day has no time to be unoccupied and get into mischief.
- Train the pup to appreciate you. Old English Sheepdogs stay in packs and naturally comply with a leader. If you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then teaching will come easy as the pup will follow you at all times and not test your power.
- Utilize exclusively encouraging training tactics. Do not scream at, hit, or punish your Old English Sheepdog. It’s not only harsh but can easily create behavioral issues. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on can injure the animal.
- Teach the pup “nothing in life is without cost.” This is a method of teaching that is generally accepted as a practical coaching method. As you emphasize this, your pup will be taught that to experience anything like love, a walk, or treat, he needs to behave properly.
- Explain the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not encourage actions such as jumping, growling, tug-o-war, snarling, or escaping open gates and doorways. Commend great behavior and dismiss or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will discover that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To correct a habit you have to witness the Old English Sheepdog in the process and startle him by rattling a bottle of marbles. When you have done this make him straighten out his behavior and promptly offer him a treat and approval. Old English Sheepdogs do not remember what happened prior so rebuking him after an occurrence is useless.
- Make sure to call/use his name favorably. Do not say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will induce mental confusion and the Old English Sheepdog will think that if you call his name then it is for something negative. The puppy must affiliate his name with pleasant things like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this occurs he will come willingly once you call out his name.
- Generate a teaching regimen that is short and sweet, say ten minutes three times a day. Extensive repetitive trainings can be uninspiring and the Old English Sheepdog will lose interest in learning. Make lessons enjoyable and use trick training sessions to show commands like sit, down, come etc.
- Bond with the Old English Sheepdog and both of you will like your lessons. The pup must expect hanging out with you and not steer clear of you by breaking away or taking cover. Make sure to socialize the doggie early. Socialization is one of the most important lessons. The Old English Sheepdog has to figure out how to coexist around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, gradually introduce the pup when he is small to day-to-day endeavors and sounds. Take him to the store/ dog park, introduce him to children and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and water hose.
- Get to know everything about house training, leash walking, house breaking, and food training. These are remedial lessons that every Old English Sheepdog puppy should grasp. Learn about all the habits as well as peculiarities of the breed. This will give you valuable ideas on how to effectively educate the dog.
As a Old English Sheepdog parent you have plenty of choices. You could decide to train the Old English Sheepdog by yourself or enroll at a qualified training school. Training a Old English Sheepdog has many phases: kindergarten, obedience training, dog sports, showing and conformation, in addition to other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What degree you choose to instruct depends on you as well as the brainpower of your Old English Sheepdog. As you realize, various dogs, like humans, possess different talents. Choose well and both you and your Old English Sheepdog pup will have good times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Old English Sheepdogs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂