We all hope for training the perfect Catahoula Cur, a puppy that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is well mannered and dependable at all times. Well dreams do come true when the teaching is done with care and dedication. Do not forget pups learn from the first day and really need to be instructed what is right, what isn’t, and appropriate interpersonal skills.
Puppies are like kids, they are in need of constant direction and teaching. Training a pup need not be a chore, all you want to consider are a few straightforward rules:
10 Tips For Training Your Catahoula Cur
- Until your pup is trained, you need to keep an eye on him at all times. Whenever you aren’t able to then you have to cage him. Develop a routine for the pup, this will serve to help him to settle easily. The plan has to incorporate things like regular bathroom breaks, feeding times, break times, walks, play time, exercise, and so forth. A pup that has a hectic day has no time at all to become unoccupied or misbehave.
- Teach the pup to heed you. Catahoula Curs live in packs and naturally follow a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then training will end up being easy because the pup will comply with you at all times and not test your power.
- Utilize only positive training methods. Never ever shout at, strike, or punish your Catahoula Cur. It’s not only unkind but might produce behavioral concerns. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, et cetera may possibly injure the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in life is free.” This is a philosophy that is universally acknowledged as a practical coaching tool. When you practice this, your pup will be taught that to get anything like love, a walk, or reward, he has to act well.
- Explain the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not reinforce behaviors like leaping, growling, tug-o-war, yipping, or escaping open gates and doors. Praise excellent behavior and dismiss or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will realize that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To fix a behavior you have to witness the Catahoula Cur in the act and startle him by rattling a container of pebbles. When you have done this help him improve his behavior and promptly give him a snack and appreciation. Catahoula Curs do not think of what took place previously so chastening him after an occurrence is useless.
- Be sure you call/use his name positively. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will induce confusion and the Catahoula Cur will believe that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The dog needs to link his name with happy events like hugs, petting, walks, treats, and such. If this occurs he will come happily the moment you call out his name.
- Generate a coaching routine that is short and sweet, say ten minutes three times a day. Lengthy repeated sessions can be dull and the Catahoula Cur will lose interest in the learning session. Make learning entertaining and use trick training to demonstrate commands like sit, down, come etc.
- Bond with the Catahoula Cur and both of you will enjoy your lessons. The pup needs to wait to hanging out with you and not stay away from you by running away or hiding. Be sure to socialize the puppy dog early on. Socialization is among the most critical lessons. The Catahoula Cur needs to master how to coexist around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, slowly introduce the doggy when he is little to normal tasks and sounds. Take him to the shopping center/ park, introduce him to kids and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Get to know all about house training, leash walking, house breaking, along with food training. These are rudimentary lessons that every Catahoula Cur puppy should learn. Understand all the traits and qualities of the breed. This will give you important ideas on how to properly educate the doggie.
As a Catahoula Cur parent you have plenty of options. You may choose to train the Catahoula Cur yourself or register at a skilled professional training school. Training a Catahoula Cur has many stages: preschool, behavior training, doggie sports, presenting and conformation, and other aspects like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What degree you choose to train hinges on you along with the learning abilities of your Catahoula Cur. As you know, different dogs, like human beings, have varied talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Catahoula Cur pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Catahoula Curs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂