We all dream of training the perfect Berner Laufhund, a puppy that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and reliable at all times. Well dreams do come true when the instruction is done with kindness and commitment. Remember pups learn from day one and need to be taught what is correct, what is not, and ideal interpersonal skills.
Pups are just like young children, they really need frequent guidance and teaching. Training a pup does not have to be a nightmare, all you need to think about are a few straightforward guidelines:
Ten Tips For Training Your Berner Laufhund
- Till your pup learns, you must keep an eye on her at all times. Whenever you can not then you will need to cage him. Make a calendar for the pup, that will enable him to settle down very quickly. The routine must incorporate things such as hourly potty breaks, feeding times, sleep periods, walks, play time, exercise, and more. A pup that has a busy day has no time at all for being unoccupied and get into mischief.
- Train the pup to heed you. Berner Laufhunds live in packs and naturally adhere to a leader. When you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then training will eventually become easy as the pup will obey you at all times and not challenge your authority.
- Use exclusively positive training methods. Don’t holler at, strike, or abuse your Berner Laufhund. It’s not just harsh but might cause behavioral problems. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth can injure the animal.
- Teach the pup “absolutely nothing in life is without cost.” This is a mantra that is frequently regarded as a helpful training tool. In the event that you practice this, your pup will be taught that to get anything like affection, a stroll, or snack, he must act well.
- Show the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not reinforce actions such as leaping, growling, tug-o-war, snarling, or running out of open gates and doorways. Appreciate good behavior and dismiss or leave when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly learn that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a habit you will need to catch the Berner Laufhund in the process and surprise him by rattling a container of rocks. As soon as you have done this make him rectify his behavior and promptly give him a treat and approval. Berner Laufhunds do not call to mind what took place previously so chastening him after an occurrence is futile.
- Be sure to call/use his name favorably. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will induce confusion and the Berner Laufhund will believe that if you call his name then it is for something negative. The dog should associate his name with happy times like hugs, petting, walks, food, and such. If this occurs he will approach willingly whenever you call his name.
- Create a training routine that is short and sweet, about ten minutes three times a day. Long repetitive trainings can be monotonous and the Berner Laufhund will lose interest in the learning session. Make learning fun-filled and use trick training sessions to show orders like sit, down, come and so on.
- Connect with the Berner Laufhund and both of you will certainly enjoy your sessions. The pup should look forward to spending quality time with you and not steer clear of you by running away or taking cover. Make sure to socialize the puppy dog very early. Socialization is among the most essential lessons. The Berner Laufhund needs to master how to be with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, gradually introduce the puppy when he is little to ordinary events and sounds. Take him to the mall/ park, present him to kids and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and water hose.
- Understand everything about house training, leash walking, house breaking, in addition to food training. These are kindergarten lessons that every Berner Laufhund puppy needs to grasp. Learn about all the mannerisms as well as peculiarities of the breed. This will give you useful insights on how to effectively coach the puppy.
As a Berner Laufhund parent you have numerous options. You could possibly choose to train the Berner Laufhund yourself or sign up at a professional training school. Training a Berner Laufhund has several phases: kindergarten, behavior training, dog sports, showing and conformation, in addition to other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What standard you choose to teach is dependent on you in addition to the brainpower of your Berner Laufhund. As you understand, various dogs, like humans, possess varied talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Berner Laufhund pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Berner Laufhunds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂