We all imagine training the perfect Beagle, a pup that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is well behaved and dependable at all times. Well dreams do come true if the training is done with kindness and focus. Remember pups learn from day one and really need to be shown what is right, what is wrong, and ideal socialization.
Pups are just like small children, they desire continuous guidance and teaching. Training a pup needn’t be an ordeal, all you have to take note of are a few simple principles:
Ten Tips For Training Your Beagle
- Till your pup learns, you want to keep an eye on him at all times. Whenever you can not then you have to cage her. Design a calendar for the pup, that will help her to settle fast. The plan needs to include things such as regular potty visits, feeding times, sleep periods, walks, play time, exercise, and so forth. A pup that has a very busy day has no time at all for being bored and get into mischief.
- Train the pup to appreciate you. Beagles live in packs and instinctively adhere to a leader. If you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then training will become easy because the pup will comply with orders at all times and not question your authority.
- Utilize only constructive training techniques. Never ever yell at, attack, or punish your Beagle. It is not just cruel but can bring about behavioral problems. Use of electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc could quite possibly hurt the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in life is without cost.” This is a method of teaching that is generally recognized as a practical coaching method. As you emphasize this, the pup will find out that to get something like affection, a walk, or treat, he will need to behave properly.
- Teach the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not reinforce behaviors such as jumping, mouthing, tug-o-war, barking, or running out of open gates and doors. Applaud courtesy and just ignore or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will discover that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To correct a behavior you need to catch the Beagle in the act and surprise him by rattling a can of stones. Once you have done this make him straighten out his behavior and instantly offer him a snack and praise. Beagles do not call to mind what took place earlier so chastening him after an event is useless.
- Always call/use his name positively. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will result in confusion and the Beagle will presume that if you call his name then it is something bad. The doggy needs to correlate his name with happy times like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this takes place he will approach happily whenever you call out his name.
- Develop a training regimen that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes 3 times a day. Prolonged repetitive sessions can be uninspiring and the Beagle will lose interest in learning. Make training fun and use trick training to show orders like sit, down, come and more.
- Bond with the Beagle and both of you are going to like your sessions. The pup must anticipate hanging out with you and not stay away from you by turning tail or taking cover. Be sure to socialize the puppy early on. Socialization is one of the most critical teachings. The Beagle needs to figure out how to coexist with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, slowly and gradually introduce the puppy dog when he is small to normal events and sounds. Take him to the shopping center/ playground, introduce him to kids and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and garden hose.
- Discover everything about house training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are basic lessons that every Beagle puppy needs to master. Understand all the idiosyncrasies and distinctive features of the breed. This will give you useful insights on how to successfully teach the pup.
As a Beagle parent you have plenty of options. You can decide to train the Beagle yourself or register at a skilled professional training school. Training a Beagle has many levels: kindergarten, behavior training, doggy sports, showing and conformation, and other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so forth. What standard you choose to teach is dependent on you along with the brainpower of your Beagle. As you realize, various dogs, like human beings, possess different talents. Choose well and both you and your Beagle pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Beagles.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂