We all long for training the perfect American Hairless Terrier, a pet that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and trustworthy at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the education is done with care and dedication. Keep in mind pups learn from the first day and really need to be informed what is right, what is not, and effective socialization.
Puppies behave like small children, they have to have continuous guidance and training. Training a pup does not have to be a chore, all you need to consider are a few simple guidelines:
Ten Tips For Training Your American Hairless Terrier
- Til your pup is trained, you have to keep an eye on him at all times. Once you can’t then you need to crate her. Design a calendar for the pup, this will enable him to settle down very quickly. The calendar will need to consist of things such as hourly bathroom visits, eating times, relaxation times, walks, play time, exercise, et cetera. A pup that has a busy day has no time to get unoccupied and get into mischief.
- Train the pup to respect you. American Hairless Terriers live in packs and instinctively adhere to a leader. Once you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then coaching will become easy as the pup will heed you at all times and not test your power.
- Utilize only encouraging training techniques. Do not yell at, attack, or punish your American Hairless Terrier. It’s not just cruel but might bring on behavioral challenges. Use of electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth may harm the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in this life is without cost.” This is a philosophy that is universally regarded as a reliable coaching tool. When you reinforce this, the pup will find out that to get something like affection, a walk, or reward, he has to behave well.
- Show the significance of “No,” from day one. Do not endorse behaviors like jumping, yelping, tug-o-war, snarling, or running out of open gates and doors. Celebrate courtesy and disregard or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly learn that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To deal with a habit you need to witness the American Hairless Terrier in the act and surprise him by rattling a bottle of pebbles. As soon as you have done this help him fix his behavior and promptly give him a treat and praise. American Hairless Terriers do not think of what transpired earlier so reprimanding him after an occurrence is useless.
- At all times call/use his name positively. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create confusion and the American Hairless Terrier will believe that if you call his name then it is something bad. The dog must relate his name with happy times like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this happens he will approach happily anytime you call out his name.
- Make a teaching routine that is short and sweet, say ten minutes 3 times a day. Long repeated sessions can be uninteresting and the American Hairless Terrier will lose interest in the learning session. Help make learning enjoyable and use trick training to show orders like sit, down, come etc.
- Connect with the American Hairless Terrier and both of you will definitely love your sessions. The pup should anticipate hanging out with you and not stay away from you by running away or taking cover. Be sure to socialize the puppy dog quickly. Socialization is one of the most important teachings. The American Hairless Terrier has to master how to be around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, gradually introduce the dog when he is little to regular tasks and sounds. Take him to the shopping centre/ park, introduce him to kids and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum and garden hose.
- Learn everything about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, and food training. These are rudimentary lessons that every American Hairless Terrier puppy must grasp. Learn about all the characteristics as well as peculiarities of the breed. This will give you valuable ideas on how to successfully coach the pup.
As a American Hairless Terrier owner you have countless choices. You could decide to train the American Hairless Terrier on your own or enroll at a high quality training school. Training a American Hairless Terrier has several phases: kindergarten, behavior training, doggy sports, showing and conformation, and other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What level you choose to instruct hinges on you together with the brainpower of your American Hairless Terrier. As you know, different dogs, like humans, possess varied talents. Choose wisely and both you and your American Hairless Terrier pup will have good times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about American Hairless Terriers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂