All of us long for training the perfect American Cocker Spaniel, a pup that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and responsible at all times. Well dreams really do come true when the teaching is performed with care and commitment. Don’t forget pups learn from day one and want to be taught what is right, what isn’t, and proper interpersonal skills.
Puppies are like small children, they crave constant guidance and training. Training a pup doesn’t have to be a challenge, all you have to bear in mind are a few basic principles:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your American Cocker Spaniel
- Until your pup learns, you want to keep an eye on her at all times. If you are unable to then you have to cage him. Create a calendar for the pup, this will help him to calm down easily. The schedule should consist of things like regular bathroom visits, eating times, sleep times, strolls, play time, exercise, and so forth. A pup that has a very busy day has no time at all for being bored and get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to heed you. American Cocker Spaniels stay in packs and instinctively adhere to a leader. When you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then coaching will become easy as the pup will obey you at all times and not challenge your power.
- Use only positive training techniques. Do not ever shout at, smack, or abuse your American Cocker Spaniel. It’s not only cruel but can create behavioral issues. Use of electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, et cetera may hurt the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in life is free.” This is a philosophy that is generally acknowledged as a reliable teaching tool. As you reinforce this, your pup will be taught that to experience something like affection, a stroll, or snack, he has to act properly.
- Teach the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not embrace behaviors such as jumping, mouthing, tug-o-war, yapping, or escaping open gates and doorways. Appreciate great behavior and dismiss or walk away when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly learn that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a habit you must witness the American Cocker Spaniel in the act and startle him by shaking a bottle of rocks. When you have done this make him remedy his behavior and immediately give him a snack and praise. American Cocker Spaniels do not recollect what transpired prior so scolding him after an occurrence is futile.
- Be sure you call/use his name favorably. Never say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will cause mental confusion and the American Cocker Spaniel will think that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The pup needs to affiliate his name with pleasant things like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this occurs he will approach willingly as soon as you call his name.
- Establish a training regimen that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes thrice a day. Lengthy repetitive trainings can be uninteresting and the American Cocker Spaniel is going to lose interest in the learning session. Help make lessons entertaining and use trick training to demonstrate directions like sit, down, come et cetera.
- Connect with the American Cocker Spaniel and both of you are going to have fun with your lessons. The pup should anticipate spending time with you and not steer clear of you by breaking away or taking cover. Make sure to socialize the doggie early. Socialization is one of the most significant lessons. The American Cocker Spaniel must figure out how to exist with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly introduce the puppy dog when he is little to normal activities and noises. Take him to the shopping centre/ playground, present him to children and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Understand all about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are kindergarten lessons that every American Cocker Spaniel puppy needs to grasp. Learn about all the traits and peculiarities of the breed. This will give you valuable insights on how to successfully instruct the puppy dog.
As a American Cocker Spaniel parent you have several choices. You might decide to train the American Cocker Spaniel by yourself or enroll at a competent training school. Training a American Cocker Spaniel has many steps: preschool, behavior training, doggie sports, showing and conformation, in addition to other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What values you decide to instruct hinges on you along with the learning abilities of your American Cocker Spaniel. As you recognize, various dogs, like human beings, have varied talents. Choose well and both you and your American Cocker Spaniel pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about American Cocker Spaniels.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂