All of us imagine training the perfect Shiba Inu, a pet that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and reliable at all times. Well dreams do come true if the education is done with kindness and dedication. Do not forget pups learn from the first day and want to be shown what is correct, what isn’t, and correct interpersonal skills.
Puppies act like children, they are in need of continuous supervision and training. Training a pup doesn’t have to be a challenge, all you want to bear in mind are a few basic guidelines:
10 Tips For Training Your Shiba Inu
- Until your pup learns, you must keep an eye on her at all times. Once you aren’t able to then you should crate her. Design a calendar for the pup, this will help her to settle very quickly. The schedule has to include things such as hourly bathroom visits, eating times, rest times, walks, play time, exercise, and more. A pup that has a busy day has no time to be bored and get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to heed you. Shiba Inus live in packs and naturally adhere to a leader. When you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then instructing will become easy because the pup will heed you at all times and not question your authority.
- Use only constructive training techniques. Never holler at, whack, or abuse your Shiba Inu. It’s not just cruel but will cause behavioral issues. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on can harm the animal.
- Teach the pup “absolutely nothing in life is free.” This is a method of teaching that is widely acknowledged as a practical teaching method. When you reinforce this, your pup will learn that to experience something like affection, a stroll, or reward, he has to act properly.
- Teach the significance of “No,” from the first day. Do not reinforce actions like leaping, growling, tug-o-war, howling, or escaping open gates and doorways. Commend courtesy and disregard or walk away when there is bad conduct. The pup will learn that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To deal with a habit you must catch the Shiba Inu in the process and startle him by rattling a container of rocks. As soon as you have done this make him fix his behavior and promptly give him a snack and appreciation. Shiba Inus do not recollect what transpired prior so scolding him after an occurrence is of no use.
- Be sure you call/use his name positively. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create confusion and the Shiba Inu will think that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The dog must correlate his name with happy events like hugs, petting, walks, snacks, and such. If this happens he will approach happily the instant you call his name.
- Create a teaching routine that is short and sweet, say ten minutes three times a day. Lengthy repeated trainings can be uninspiring and the Shiba Inu is going to lose interest in the learning session. Help make lessons enjoyable and use trick training sessions to explain commands like sit, down, come et cetera.
- Connect with the Shiba Inu and both of you will definitely get a kick out of your sessions. The pup ought to eagerly anticipate spending quality time with you and not steer clear of you by turning tail or hiding. Make certain to socialize the pup quickly. Socialization is among the most significant lessons. The Shiba Inu will need to master how to coexist with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, slowly but surely introduce the doggie when he is little to day-to-day endeavors and sounds. Take him to the shopping mall/ dog park, present him to kids and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and garden hose.
- Get to know all about potty training, leash walking, house breaking, as well as food training. These are introductory lessons that every Shiba Inu puppy must learn. Understand all the idiosyncrasies in addition to peculiarities of the breed. This will give you useful information on how to effectively educate the pup.
As a Shiba Inu owner you have plenty of choices. You could certainly choose to train the Shiba Inu yourself or enroll at a high quality training school. Training a Shiba Inu has many steps: kindergarten, behavior training, doggy sports, showing and conformation, as well as other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What standard you decide to instruct depends upon you together with the brainpower of your Shiba Inu. As you know, different dogs, like humans, possess different talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Shiba Inu pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Shiba Inus.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂