All of us imagine training the perfect Chihuahua, a pup that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is well mannered and responsible at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the instruction is done with care and commitment. Remember pups learn from the first day and really need to be instructed what is correct, what isn’t, and appropriate socialization.
Puppies are just like kids, they need continuous guidance and teaching. Training a pup doesn’t have to be an ordeal, all you have to consider are a few simple guidelines:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Chihuahua
- Until your pup learns, you must keep an eye on her at all times. When you are unable to then you must definitely crate him. Create a plan for the pup, this will serve to help him to settle very quickly. The calendar should include things such as hourly potty breaks, eating times, rest periods, strolls, play time, instruction, and so forth. A pup that has a very busy day has no time at all to get bored or misbehave.
- Train the pup to appreciate you. Chihuahuas stay in packs and naturally need a leader. When you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then coaching will become easy as the pup will heed you at all times and not defy your authority.
- Use exclusively encouraging training tactics. Don’t scream at, attack, or abuse your Chihuahua. It is not just cruel but can provoke behavioral problems. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, et cetera might injure the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in life is without cost.” This is a method of teaching that is universally regarded as a reliable training tool. In the event that you reinforce this, the pup will discover that to get something like love, a stroll, or reward, he must act well.
- Teach the significance of “No,” from day one. Do not embrace behaviors such as jumping, mouthing, tug-o-war, yapping, or escaping open gates and doorways. Applaud courtesy and just ignore or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly discover that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To fix a behavior you should witness the Chihuahua in the process and surprise her by shaking a jar of marbles. As soon as you have done this make him improve his behavior and promptly give him a snack and appreciation. Chihuahuas do not call to mind what took place prior so chastening him after an occurrence is futile.
- Always call/use his name positively. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will result in confusion and the Chihuahua will believe that if you call his name then it is for something negative. The doggy needs to correlate his name with happy things like hugs, petting, walks, food, and such. If this transpires he will respond happily the moment you call out his name.
- Establish a training regimen that is short and sweet, about ten minutes thrice a day. Lengthy recurring trainings can be monotonous and the Chihuahua will lose interest in learning. Make learning exciting and use trick training sessions to teach directions like sit, down, come and so on.
- Bond with the Chihuahua and both of you will definitely appreciate your lessons. The pup should hope for spending time with you and not steer clear of you by running away or hiding. Make sure to socialize the dog very early. Socialization is one of the most essential teachings. The Chihuahua must definitely figure out how to exist with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, slowly introduce the pup when he is small to normal activities and noises. Take him to the mall/ dog park, present him to children and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Learn everything about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, in addition to food training. These are training 101 lessons that every Chihuahua puppy needs to understand. Know about all the characteristics as well as peculiarities of the breed. This will give you useful information on how to effectively educate the puppy.
As a Chihuahua parent you have lots of options. You could very well decide to train the Chihuahua on your own or register at a high quality training school. Training a Chihuahua has many levels: kindergarten, behavior training, doggy sports, presenting and conformation, as well as other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What level you choose to coach is dependent on you along with the brainpower of your Chihuahua. As you know, various dogs, like human beings, possess varied talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Chihuahua pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Chihuahuas.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂