We all long for training the perfect Berger Picard, a pet that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and reliable at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the teaching is done with kindness and focus. Remember pups learn from day one and need to be shown what is right, what is wrong, and effective interpersonal skills.
Pups are just like children, they need to have continuous supervision and instruction. Training a pup doesn’t have to be an ordeal, all you have to consider are a few straightforward guidelines:
10 Tips For Training Your Berger Picard
- Up until your pup is trained, you must keep an eye on her at all times. If you aren’t able to then you will need to crate him. Design a routine for the pup, that will serve to help her to settle quickly. The schedule will need to consist of things like regular bathroom visits, eating times, break periods, walks, play time, exercise, and so forth. A pup that has a very busy day has no time to become unoccupied or get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to heed you. Berger Picards live in packs and instinctively comply with a leader. Once you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then training will eventually become easy because the pup will follow you at all times and not question your power.
- Utilize only positive training tactics. Don’t shout at, smack, or punish your Berger Picard. It is not only terrible but might bring about behavioral problems. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, et cetera could hurt the animal.
- Teach the pup “absolutely nothing in this life is free.” This is a method of teaching that is commonly acknowledged as an useful teaching tool. As you emphasize this, the pup will find out that to experience anything like affection, a stroll, or snack, he will need to behave properly.
- Teach the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not advocate behaviors such as leaping, yelping, tug-o-war, snarling, or escaping open gates and doors. Applaud great behavior and dismiss or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly learn that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To fix a behavior you must catch the Berger Picard in the act and surprise her by rattling a container of pebbles. Once you have done this make him improve his behavior and promptly give him a snack and appreciation. Berger Picards do not recollect what happened prior so reprimanding him after an occurrence is useless.
- Be sure you call/use his name favorably. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create mental confusion and the Berger Picard will think that if you call his name then it is something bad. The puppy needs to relate his name with pleasant events like hugs, petting, walks, food, and such. If this takes place he will approach willingly the instant you call his name.
- Create a teaching routine that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes three times a day. Long recurring lessons can be dull and the Berger Picard will lose interest in the learning session. Make learning interesting and use trick training to show orders like sit, down, come etc.
- Bond with the Berger Picard and both of you will like your lessons. The pup needs to anticipate hanging out with you and not avoid you by breaking away or hiding. Make certain to socialize the doggie very early. Socialization is one of the most critical teachings. The Berger Picard needs to learn to coexist with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, carefully introduce the puppy dog when he is little to common endeavors and sounds. Take him to the mall/ playground, introduce him to children and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Discover all about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, along with food training. These are introductory lessons that every Berger Picard puppy must master. Learn about all the habits in addition to peculiarities of the breed. This will give you important insights on how to properly instruct the puppy.
As a Berger Picard parent you have plenty of choices. You can choose to train the Berger Picard yourself or enlist at a professional training school. Training a Berger Picard has many levels: preschool, behavior training, doggie sports, presenting and conformation, in addition to other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What degree you decide to teach depends upon you together with the brainpower of your Berger Picard. As you know, various dogs, like people, have different talents. Choose well and both you and your Berger Picard pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Berger Picards.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂