All of us hope for training the perfect Australian Kelpie, a pup that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is well mannered and reliable at all times. Well dreams do come true if the instruction is done with kindness and dedication. Realize pups learn from the first day and really need to be taught what is correct, what isn’t, and effective interpersonal skills.
Pups are like young children, they have to have frequent guidance and teaching. Training a pup needn’t be a nightmare, all you have to remember are a few simple principles:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Australian Kelpie
- Until your pup learns, you want to keep an eye on her at all times. Whenever you are unable to then you should cage her. Establish a plan for the pup, that will help her to calm down easily. The schedule needs to consist of things like hourly potty breaks, eating times, rest periods, strolls, play time, training, etc. A pup that has a hectic day has no time to be unoccupied or get into mischief.
- Train the pup to heed you. Australian Kelpies live in packs and instinctively need a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then coaching will come to be easy as the pup will obey you at all times and not defy your authority.
- Utilize only constructive training strategies. Don’t holler at, strike, or punish your Australian Kelpie. It’s not just terrible but might induce behavioral challenges. Use of electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, et cetera could very well hurt the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in this life is without cost.” This is a mantra that is generally accepted as a practical teaching method. As you apply this, the pup will discover that to experience anything like love, a stroll, or treat, he needs to act well.
- Show the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not endorse actions like leaping, mouthing, tug-o-war, barking, or escaping open gates and doorways. Commend good behavior and ignore or leave when there is bad behavior. The pup will discover that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a behavior you will need to catch the Australian Kelpie in the act and surprise him by rattling a canister of marbles. As soon as you have done this help him adjust his behavior and instantly offer him a treat and praise. Australian Kelpies do not remember what transpired earlier so reprimanding him after an event is futile.
- Make sure to call/use his name positively. Never say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will cause mental confusion and the Australian Kelpie will presume that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The doggy should connect his name with happy times like hugs, petting, strolls, treats, and such. If this takes place he will come willingly when you call out his name.
- Develop a teaching routine that is short and sweet, about ten minutes thrice a day. Long repeated sessions can be dull and the Australian Kelpie is going to lose interest in learning. Make lessons fun-filled and use trick training to show directions like sit, down, come and more.
- Bond with the Australian Kelpie and both of you will love your sessions. The pup ought to anticipate spending time with you and not stay clear of you by breaking away or taking cover. Make certain to socialize the dog very early. Socialization is one of the most essential teachings. The Australian Kelpie must definitely learn to be with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, slowly and gradually introduce the puppy when he is small to everyday tasks and noises. Take him to the shopping mall/ playground, present him to children and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Learn all about house training, leash walking, house breaking, as well as food training. These are kindergarten lessons that every Australian Kelpie puppy has to understand. Learn about all the mannerisms and distinctive features of the breed. This will give you valuable insights on how to properly instruct the puppy.
As a Australian Kelpie parent you have a lot of choices. You could choose to train the Australian Kelpie on your own or sign up at a pro training school. Training a Australian Kelpie has numerous steps: kindergarten, behavior training, doggy sports, presenting and conformation, in addition to other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What degree you decide to teach depends on you along with the learning abilities of your Australian Kelpie. As you realize, different dogs, like human beings, possess varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Australian Kelpie pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Australian Kelpies.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂