We all imagine training the perfect Rough Collie, a pup that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is well behaved and reliable at all times. Well dreams really do come true when the training is done with care and focus. Keep in mind pups learn from day one and really need to be instructed what is correct, what is wrong, and correct interpersonal skills.
Pups act like small children, they demand constant direction and teaching. Training a pup does not have to be a challenge, all you need to think about are a few basic principles:
10 Tips For Training Your Rough Collie
- Up until your pup learns, you must keep an eye on her at all times. If you can not then you ought to cage her. Establish a routine for the pup, that will help him to settle fast. The calendar needs to incorporate things such as regular potty visits, feeding times, break periods, walks, play time, instruction, and so on. A pup that has a very busy day has no time to be bored or misbehave.
- Train the pup to respect you. Rough Collies stay in packs and naturally comply with a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then training will become easy because the pup will obey you at all times and not test your power.
- Utilize only encouraging training strategies. Never ever holler at, whack, or abuse your Rough Collie. It is not only cruel but will bring on behavioral issues. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc could injure the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in life is without cost.” This is a system that is generally recognized as a very useful teaching tool. If you practice this, the pup will learn that to experience anything like love, a stroll, or reward, he needs to behave well.
- Show the significance of “No,” from the first day. Do not encourage behaviors like jumping, growling, tug-o-war, snarling, or escaping open gates and doors. Applaud proper behavior and disregard or walk away when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly learn that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a behavior you should witness the Rough Collie in the process and surprise him by rattling a jar of rocks. As soon as you have done this help him remedy his behavior and immediately give him a treat and praise. Rough Collies do not think of what transpired prior so reprimanding him after an event is useless.
- Be sure you call/use his name positively. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will cause confusion and the Rough Collie will believe that if you call his name then it is something negative. The doggie must associate his name with pleasant events like hugs, petting, strolls, treats, and such. If this occurs he will come happily when you call out his name.
- Generate a teaching regimen that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes 3 times a day. Prolonged repetitive lessons can be uninteresting and the Rough Collie will lose interest in the learning session. Make training entertaining and use trick training sessions to teach orders like sit, down, come etc.
- Connect with the Rough Collie and both of you will definitely like your sessions. The pup should anticipate hanging out with you and not avoid you by turning tail or hiding. Make sure to socialize the puppy very early. Socialization is among the most significant lessons. The Rough Collie has to learn to exist around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, carefully introduce the doggie when he is small to ordinary events and noises. Take him to the shopping mall/ park, introduce him to kids and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Study all about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, and food training. These are rudimentary lessons that every Rough Collie puppy has to understand. Understand all the traits in addition to peculiarities of the breed. This will give you important ideas on how to properly coach the doggy.
As a Rough Collie owner you have several choices. You could certainly decide to train the Rough Collie yourself or enroll at a high quality training school. Training a Rough Collie has several stages: preschool, obedience training, doggie sports, presenting and conformation, as well as other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so forth. What level you decide to teach depends on you along with the brainpower of your Rough Collie. As you recognize, various dogs, like humans, have different talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Rough Collie pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Rough Collies.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂