We all imagine training the perfect Borzoi, a puppy that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and dependable at all times. Well dreams do come true if the training is performed with care and commitment. Keep in mind pups learn from the first day and want to be instructed what is right, what is not, and effective interpersonal skills.
Puppies act like kids, they have to have continuous direction and instruction. Training a pup does not have to be a nightmare, all you want to keep in mind are a few straightforward principles:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Borzoi
- Till your pup learns, you have to keep an eye on him at all times. When you can not then you need to crate him. Create a routine for the pup, that will serve to help her to calm down quickly. The calendar should consist of things like regular bathroom visits, feeding times, break times, walks, play time, instruction, etc. A pup that has a busy day has no time to become bored and get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to appreciate you. Borzois live in packs and naturally follow a leader. Once you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then instructing will come easy because the pup will follow you at all times and not question your authority.
- Use only encouraging training techniques. Do not holler at, hit, or punish your Borzoi. It’s not only cruel but can lead to behavioral issues. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc could possibly wound the animal.
- Teach the pup “absolutely nothing in life is free.” This is a system that is broadly accepted as a very useful coaching tool. When you apply this, the pup will learn that to get anything like love, a stroll, or reward, he has to act properly.
- Show the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not embrace actions such as jumping, yelping, tug-o-war, yipping, or escaping open gates and doors. Appreciate courtesy and dismiss or leave when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly learn that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a behavior you need to catch the Borzoi in the act and startle him by rattling a can of rocks. When you have done this make him deal with his behavior and promptly offer him a treat and approval. Borzois do not call to mind what happened earlier so chastening him after an event is futile.
- Be sure to call/use his name positively. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will induce confusion and the Borzoi will think that if you call his name then it is something bad. The dog must associate his name with pleasant times like hugs, petting, walks, food, and such. If this transpires he will come willingly as soon as you call out his name.
- Create a training regimen that is short and sweet, say ten minutes 3 times a day. Extensive repeated sessions can be boring and the Borzoi is going to lose interest in learning. Help make training fun and use trick training to teach orders like sit, down, come et cetera.
- Bond with the Borzoi and both of you will get a kick out of your lessons. The pup must expect hanging out with you and not steer clear of you by running away or hiding. Be sure to socialize the puppy dog as soon as possible. Socialization is among the most vital lessons. The Borzoi will need to figure out how to coexist around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, gradually introduce the doggie when he is small to ordinary tasks and noises. Take him to the mall/ dog park, present him to children and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and garden hose.
- Get to know all about potty training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are training 101 lessons that every Borzoi puppy should grasp. Understand all the characteristics and qualities of the breed. This will give you valuable ideas on how to effectively teach the doggie.
As a Borzoi parent you have many choices. You could possibly choose to train the Borzoi on your own or sign up at a pro training school. Training a Borzoi has several stages: preschool, obedience training, doggy sports, showing and conformation, as well as other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What standard you decide to teach depends upon you in addition to the brainpower of your Borzoi. As you recognize, various dogs, like human beings, possess different talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Borzoi pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Borzois.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂