Training a Shih Tzu is quite simple. You just need patience, dedication together with some easy to learn techniques and you will break them in successfully.
Below we share five Great Techniques on how you can break in the Shih Tzu with great results:
1. To avoid the Shih Tzu from becoming disoriented and in order that they can begin to recognize orders quickly only 1 individual should be responsible for training the Shih Tzu starting out. In instances where too many individuals are attempting to train a Shih Tzu at once this might halt progress in its tracks.
2. You must utilize positive reinforcements and feedback. Once a Shih Tzu follows orders, one might praise this behavior so that he will realize that what he did was good. If a Shih Tzu won’t follow or understand commands, don’t scold him. Shih Tzus are not as smart as we are, they make errors. What you should realize is that your Shih Tzu will not easily understand all your orders in the first session, it takes repetition to break in a Shih Tzu . Do not harass your Shih Tzu as he might develop anxiety which can stunt his learning and ability to be trained. You can give them food to reward a Shih Tzu, but please you do not want to overuse it.
3. Teach lessons 1 at a time. Make sure to teach him one lesson after the next. If he will not remember it, try to stay on that command only because trying more orders will probablly just confuse the Shih Tzu. Rely on the basics.
4. When you are giving lessons, keep your inflection pleasant so the Shih Tzu will gladly obey your teachings. Shih Tzus respond to a low and coaxing voice. If you scream, he could get agitated and fearful.
5. Train the Shih Tzu in different environments. If you keep your Shih Tzu in one particular environment like your home, he may not have the ability to adjust to a new place with different individuals. Take him to your park or around the neighborhood. This will help your Shih Tzu associate with more people and breeds.
Conclusion: Training A Shih Tzu
Training your Shih Tzu will often be difficult, but it will be worth it. In the end, you will be the beneficiary when your Shih Tzu is trained. You don’t know, he could even rescue you in the future and pay back everything you taught him.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Shih Tzus
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂