Training Portuguese Water Dogs is quite easy. Just have a little patience, dedication and these 5 easy to learn techniques and you will break them in successfully.
Here are five Helpful Techniques for how you can train your Portuguese Water Dog with good results:
1. In order to avoid a Portuguese Water Dog from being unsure and so that they can begin to understand instructions easily just one individual should be responsible for training the Portuguese Water Dog to start. If too many individuals try to train your Portuguese Water Dog simultaneously it can stop progress.
2. Trainers should always use positive feedback. When the Portuguese Water Dog does something right, one should reward the act so he can know that what he did was welcomed. If the Portuguese Water Dog will not follow your commands, don’t berate him. Portuguese Water Dogs aren’t as intelligent as us, they make mistakes. What you have to accept is that the Portuguese Water Dog won’t readily understand your orders in the first session, it takes repetition to teach your Portuguese Water Dog successfully. Don’t berate a Portuguese Water Dog because he could develop timidness which can affect his learning and willingness to be broken in. You should use snacks or food to reward the Portuguese Water Dog, but definitely you should not take it too far.
3. Teach orders 1 at a time. Try to teach him 1 command after another. In the event he is unable to absorb it, remain on that lesson only because trying more instructions will most likely just confuse the Portuguese Water Dog. Stick to the basics.
4. When executing skills, keep your voice pleasant so that the Portuguese Water Dog will gladly submit to the lessons. Portuguese Water Dogs respond best to a low and coaxing voice. If you ever shout out loud, he could be agitated and startled.
5. Train your Portuguese Water Dog in varying locales. If you keep a Portuguese Water Dog in just 1 certain environment like your home, he may not be able to adjust to a new locale with different people. Take him to a park or through your neighborhood. This can aid your Portuguese Water Dog get acquainted with more people and breeds.
Training A Portuguese Water Dog: Conclusion
Training a Portuguese Water Dog will sometimes be tough, however it’ll always be worth it. In the end, you will be the beneficiary when your Portuguese Water Dog is reared. Who knows, he may even save your life one day and pay back everything you taught him.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Portuguese Water Dogs
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂