Training Basenjis is very simple. It just takes a little dedication, patience along with some simple skills and you’ll break them in successfully.
In This Article we share five Useful Techniques on how you can train the Basenji with fantastic results:
1. In order to prevent the Basenji from getting unsure and in order that they will be able to learn commands easily only 1 person should train your Basenji at first. When too many individuals attempt to train a Basenji at once it can halt the process in its tracks.
2. One must always use positive feedback. Whenever a Basenji listens, you might praise the act so he will know that what he did was welcomed. If the Basenji doesn’t follow or understand commands, never scold him. Basenjis are not as smart as people, they make errors. What you have to understand is that they won’t readily obey your commands in only 1 training, it requires repetition to teach your Basenji successfully. Do not push your Basenji because he may begin to develop skittishness which can hinder his learning and readiness to be trained. Trainers may give them treats or food in order to reward the Basenji, but you shouldn’t overuse it.
3. Teach skills 1 at a time. Attempt to teach him 1 order after the next. In the event he won’t absorb it, remain on that command only because trying new lessons may just confuse the Basenji. Stick to the basics.
4. When you are executing skills, keep your intonation cheerful so that your Basenji will willingly obey your commands. Basenjis respond best to a quiet and confident tone. If you yell, he may be agitated and afraid.
5. Train the Basenji in various locations. When you keep the Basenji in one particular location like your home, he might not have the ability to adapt to a new environment with different people. Take him to a dog park or around your neighborhood. This can aid your Basenji get familiar with different people and breeds.
Basenji Training: Conclusion
Training the Basenji will often be tough, but it will always be worth it. In the end, you will be the one to benefit when your Basenji is trained. Who knows, he could even save your life in the future and repay everything you taught him.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Basenjis
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂